Objective of the Societies:
- To promote growth of concrete construction and its sub-specializations.
- To disseminate information and to arrange to train personnel for the needs of changing concepts in the technology.
- To collaborate with national and international agencies in creating better understanding of concrete – material, design & construction technology.
- To identify and assign research and development problems of practical relevance to concrete.
- To arrange periodical seminars and exhibitions on the subject.
- To institute and distribute awards for outstanding achievements in concrete and to arrange annual lecture series on selected topics of relevance to concrete construction.
- To promote awareness on concrete among students.
Indian Concrete Institute is one of the leading professional bodies in India, catering to the professional needs of individuals and organisations involved in Concrete. Being a non-profit Organisation, it is dedicated to the cause of Disseminating Knowledge on Concrete, to Promote Concrete Technology and Construction and to address the Research Needs of Concrete.
The Genesis of ICI dates back to the year 1982, when SERC Chennai and Anna University jointly conducted an International Seminar on Modern Concrete Construction Practices. The overwhelming response to the seminar prompted the Organisers to start the Indian Concrete Institute. Thus, the ICI was born in 1982 with around 500 members from 5 regional Centres. Since then, there is no looking back and ICI has grown in leaps and bounds. Today ICI is a strong professional body having more than 13, 000 enrolled members, from 42 regional Centres in all major cities, spread across the entire length and breadth of the country. Of these, more than 341 are Organisational Members. All segments of cement and concrete industries are widely represented in the membership.
To meet the objectives of ICI, the regional Centres conduct varieties of programs like Seminars, Workshops, Conferences, Exhibitions, etc. throughout the year. These are at both National and International level. These events prove to be a unique platform, for all the stakeholders in the concrete industry, wherein Practicing Engineers, Manufacturers, Academics, Consultants and Researchers make their global participation, to discuss the issues, to share their views and experience on the concrete related matters. Thus, ICI derives the synergy amongst the various categories of people associated with concrete.
Any professional Body is recognized by the technical documents it creates. Today, at ICI, several Technical Committees are striving hard to bring out technical documents, to frame guidelines, to standardize, to fix norms for various speciality, concretes and construction practices, to create unified code and to bring out Hand Books etc. The outcome of these committees has placed ICI high in the concrete Arena. ICI works in close coordination with various Central and State Government Bodies like CPWD, PWDs, Municipal Corporation etc, for the adoption of Latest Technologies and practices in Infrastructure Building. ICI members represent in several Codal Committees of BIS.